A writing book, a community and feedback all in one.
Write the crap out of it and other short story writing advice.
The cursor blinks. The white page waits for your story…and waits and waits and waits and then, at last, it arrives, but so do the questions:
Is it good enough?
Is it long enough? Is it short enough?
How do I add setting without adding to the word count?
Should I be showing or telling?
Write the Crap Out of It and Other Short Story Writing Advice is an easy-to-use guide to the art of the short story that will help you answer these questions. It’s for everyone from the novice who wants to write their first short story to the novelist looking for a side project. This book, based on a series of blog posts written for Writers Write, will get you writing. It includes good writing advice and plenty of writing exercises.
But it is not just another craft book. Write the Crap out of It is a book about the craft of short story writing that will make you write. Each chapter ends with an exercise that you can share on our website and give and receive feedback.
Join the Write the Crap Out of It Community
The best part of joining a writing community is realising that you are not alone. We all stare at white pages and we all curse the cursor and we all want to improve. By giving and receiving feedback we all do it together. You can post your exercises on the www.deadlinesforwriters.com website. You post one exercise and comment on four. Be kind when you comment. Kindness is the foundation of our success.
How does it work?
- Once you have bought the book on Amazon, please create a profile on www.deadlinesforwriters.com and send a copy of your Amazon Invoice to Mia.
- Once Mia has received the invoice your account will be approved.
- Post one exercise and comment on four.
- Please post only one exercise per prompt.
- There is no deadline. Work at your own pace.
Is this community for you?
Do you want quality feedback on your stories? The 12 Short Stories and 12 Poems community is a kind, safe place for writers to post their work and learn and grow.
The exercises were created to challenge and improve your writing skills. Some are prompt-based, some ask for specific techniques and some are for free writing.
How much is it?
The book is available on Amazon and it depends on your region.
What you will learn?
The book covers everything from plot to publication
- Show, don’t tell
- Brainstorming ideas
- Writing a series of stories
- Writing routines
- Publication advice
- Writing the inciting moment
- Writing the end
- Layering your story
What materials do I need to participate in the programme?
A profile on www.deadlinesforwriters.com. A computer, your imagination and a willingness to learn.
Read this post for website Tips and Tricks.
How do I submit my exercises?
- Once you’ve sent the invoice and your membership has been activated, and you have completed your first exercise, log in to www.deadlinesforwriters.com.
- Select Submit.
- Complete the form. Select the correct category.
- Submit your exercise.
- Once your exercise appears, comment on four other exercises.
- Be kind.
- There are no deadlines. You can work at your own pace, but please do not post new exercises before giving feedback on four others.
What are you waiting for?
Follow the link and get writing.
Can I talk to a human?
Yes, Mia would be happy to chat. Please mail her at email@example.com.