Who we are
12 Short Stories is a writing community founded by Mia Botha. It is supported by Writers Write. You can find more about Mia and Writers Write by visiting www.writerswrite.co.za/
Pretoria, Gauteng 0181
Users can visit our site anonymously. The main content, e.g. the stories, is locked and requires login, which is not anonymous.
Can change your personal information:
- By emailing us
- By logging in to your account
What personal data do we collect and why do we collect it
When registering on our site, you are asked to enter your name, email address, mailing address, phone number or other details to create your profile and help you with your experience.
Credit card information: we use PayPal as a payment portal. The transactions are done on their site and nothing regarding your details, other than the fact that you used PayPal, is saved on this site.
How do we protect your information?
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and common vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
We use regular Malware Scanning.
We have an SSL certificate.
When do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, post, subscribe to a newsletter or enter information on our site.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, make a purchase, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
- To personalize your experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve our website in order to better serve you.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature.
- To ask for ratings and reviews of services or products
- To follow up with them after correspondence (live chat, email or phone inquiries)
This is a WordPress site. WordPress does not collect any personal data about visitors, and only collects the data shown on the User Profile screen from registered users however, some plugins do collect personal data.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions
- Process orders and to send information and updates pertaining to orders.
- Send you additional information related to your product and/or service.
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients.
We agree to the following:
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honour opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at
email@example.com and we will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
Cookies – How do we know how long the data is stored?
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. (You do this through your browser settings. Since each browser is a little different, look at your browser’s Help Menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.)
You can turn cookies off, but some of the features that make your site experience more efficient may not function properly.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
Third party service providers: Please follow the links to read their Privacy Policies.
- Mailchimp: We send emails via Mailchimp.
- Paid Membership Pro: This is the profile creation plugin we use.
- Webinar Jam: We use Webinar Jamfor our Short Story School classes.
- At checkout, we will collect your name, email address, username, and password. This information is used to setup your account for our site. If you are redirected to an offsite payment gateway to complete your payment, we may store this information in a temporary session variable to setup your account when you return to our site.
- Buddy Press: Works in conjunction with the above plugin to make the community aspects of the site possible
- Social Media Platforms: If you sign-up or login using a social media platform you grant them access to your information. You can manage this from within the social media platform. We use the Ultimate Social Media PLUS.
- Wordfence: Keeps our site safe.
- MyCREDis for the points system.
- The site is backed-up by Updraft Plus.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personally Identifiable Information unless we provide users with advance notice.
This does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or serving our users, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential.
We may also release information when its release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect our or others’ rights, property or safety.
However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
(We will be introducing Affiliates links in the near future. By their nature these will be tracked.)
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We, therefore, have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Analytics and Google.
We use Google Analytics on our site. You can opt-outof tracking.
We don’t do this yet, but we will update this section as soon as we do.
Google’s advertising requirements can be summed up by Google’s Advertising Principles. They are put in place to provide a positive experience for users.
We have implemented the following:
We, along with third-party vendors such as Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) or other third-party identifiers together to compile data regarding user interactions with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our website.
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settingspage. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative Opt-Out page or by using the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser add on.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments are be checked through an automated spam detection service as described below.
We collect information about visitors who comment on Sites that use our Akismet anti-spam service. The information we collect depends on how the User sets up Akismet for the Site, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
Please also refer to the above mentioned plugins and partners.
How does the site handle Do Not Track signals?
We honour Do Not Track signals and Do Not Track, plant cookies, or use advertising* when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
*Advertising excludes in-house/onsite embedded advertising.
What data breach procedures we have in place
Should a data breach occur we will take the following responsive action:
We will notify you via email.
We will notify the users via in-site notification.