12 Short Stories and Writers Write are proud to welcome you to the official 12 Short Stories Competition for 2019.
Let’s get writing. Here is what you have to do:
- Write an awesome short story.
- Submit it on the first deadline. (Optional)
- Give and receive feedback from your fellow writers. (Optional)
- Rewrite your story and submit your story on the final deadline.
- Hold thumbs.
The competition fee goes towards keeping our free writing community free and helps to pay for the website. Thank you for supporting us.
Competition starts: 4 October 2019
First Deadline: 30 October 2019
Final Deadline: 27 November 2019
Prompt: Catch up.
Word count: 1200 words
How does the competition work?
- Pay $35 and sign up on www.deadlinesforwriters.com and create a profile. This fee goes towards maintaining the website and keeps our free writing community free.
- Read the prompt for the competition.
- Write an awesome short story. Take note of the word count.
- Submit your story using the SUBMIT button.
- Complete all the fields and copy/paste your story using the correct formatting.
- Make sure you choose the correct category.
- Hit submit.
- Read and comment on four stories by other writers. You will find them under the READ button. Please follow the commenting/evaluating guidelines.
- Submit the final version of your story on the day of the final deadline.
- Winners will be notified via email and announced on the site.
- Good luck.
Please be kind when you comment and use these guidelines to provide constructive feedback.
Why should you enter a short story competition?
- The prizes:
- The grand prize winner will win a voucher to the value of $599 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The second-place winner will win a voucher to the value of $299 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The third-place winner will win a voucher to the value of $199 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The fourth-place winner will win a voucher to the value of $199 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The Reader’s choice award will win a voucher to the value of $199 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- All winners will receive an appraisal of their entry and have an online writing consultation of 60 minutes with Mia Botha.
Take a look at the courses.
T&Cs: Prizes cannot be used for sale items, cannot be transferred or exchanged for cash. The online consultations are valid and available for six months after the winner is announced. Please read the full list of Terms & Conditions here.
- Deadlines are good for writers. Use the competition deadline to complete another short story.
- You post one story and comment on four. That means you will receive valuable feedback from other writers. This is a great opportunity to learn.
- A chance to rewrite. Your story will be up on the site while your fellow writers comment on your writing. You will have a chance to rewrite and resubmit your story.
- Please resubmit using and editing the same post. Place the FINAL above the first draft.
- Have we mentioned the prizes are awesome?
You do not have to post your story for the first deadline if you do not want comments, but the final deadline is non-negotiable.
Publish the story under your profile on www.deadlinesforwriters.com.
Please read the full list of Terms & Conditions here.